A short beginner-friendly guide on setting up Demon Stone in PlayOnLinux on Ubuntu!
Pre-requisites to following this guide:
1. You must have a retail copy/disc of Demon Stone
2. You must have your graphics drivers installed (AMD, Nvidia)
This guide can work for Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, 14.04 and so on as long as you have access to PlayOnLinux 4.2 or newer. You will also need Wine 1.7.30 or newer.
For the professionals/veteran users of Wine, all you need is Wine 1.7.30 combined with your proprietary drivers. The prefix is clean, there isn't any need for additional installations.
1. Open PlayOnLinux.
2. Click on Install.
3. Click "Install a non-listed program".
4. Go through the menus, name the drive anything.
5. Tick "Use another version of Wine" and "Configure Wine".
6. Select Wine 1.7.30 (or newer).
7. Select "32 bits windows installation".
8. In Wine Configuration, go to Graphics tab. Tick "Emulate a virtual desktop" and set it to any resolution you want (for windowed mode).
9. Click Browse and select CD-ROM: Demon_Stone
10. After installation is done, select DemonLaunch.exe from the list to make a shortcut. Name it anything you want.
13. Start Demon Launch from the list, and play!
Note: No crack is necessary! However, it's doable if you don't like to play by using the disc.
This works out-of-the-box with my wired 360 controller. Older Ubuntu versions or other distros may experience different results due to the joystick driver available.
WARNING: I have no idea if this works for AMD and Intel graphics users. This may only work for Nvidia users. Please share your experience in the comments so others know.
Download Steam here [FREE]:
Download PlayOnLinux here [FREE]:
My main computer rig specs:
CPU - Intel i7-4770 3.4Ghz
GPU - Asus Nvidia GTX 680 2GB (Nvidia 340.58)
RAM - 8GB DDR3 Corsair 1333MHz
OS - Ubuntu 14.04 64Bit/Windows 8 64Bit (Dual Boot)
Video recorded using:
Video edited using the following software:
VideoStudio Ultimate X6
Download Ubuntu 14.04 for free:
Download GIMP 2.8.10 for free:
My alias in ubuntuforums.org:
I'm just a Malaysian, who is finishing off the remainder of his studies at MMU Cyberjaya in Software Engineering and Games Design. Love Ubuntu and Linux, and more so gaming!